PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE APPLICATION
LMU students (group/club/organization/individuals) may apply for a grant of up to $375 for a service project or activity with the objective of making a positive impact on the LMU or Los Angeles community and/or increasing awareness of a social justice topic.
Please take the time to read the following information to familiarize yourself with the application/post-event process.
Applications will be reviewed monthly and you will receive a response from the Empowerment Grant (EG) coordinator within 5 working days. Upon completion of your project and event, please note that you are required to submit your receipts to the EG Coordinator.
Additionally, you must complete and submit the Empowerment Grant Post-Event Progress Report (on LEO) and any/all original receipts so that reimbursements may be processed.
Application Deadline: First of each month
The due dates for the Empowerment Grant Application are the 1st of every month during the academic year. Please see application timeline details
- The Empowerment Grant functions on a reimbursement basis. Approved individuals, groups, or organizations will need access to funds necessary for the project prior to the event. Reimbursement funds will be available after the completion
of the event.
- In order to be reimbursed, applicants must turn in original receipts, event/project photos, and a detailed description of the event via the Post-Event Progress Report. This can be accessed through the CSA page on LEO.
- Approved applicants must contact the EG coordinator to schedule a Post-Event Reflection Interview.
- Any significant changes to the project or budget must be approved by the EG coordinator BEFORE the event date.
- All proposals must have a service or social justice focus that will benefit the LMU community and/or any community partners or organizations.
- All events, activities, or programs must collaborate with a community partner, 501(c)(3) determined by the Internal Revenue Service.
- All proposals must include project dates that occur in the same semester as the application in which the proposal is submitted.
- Individuals/Groups/Organizations will not be funded more than once per semester.
- Requests cannot exceed $375 per project.
- Funds may not be used for personal expenses, which include but are not limited to: applicant accessory, clothing, living, medical, or school expenses and supplies not listed on the application form
- Funds may be used for the following: project supplies particular to the event (for example, a cleanup of a local youth center that requires paint, brushes, brooms, dustpans, etc.), publicity, food, and transportation costs. Funding outside of the above
parameters must be approved by CSA.
- Projected expense summaries must be included with the application, detailed, and typed onto an Excel spreadsheet. For example: Home Depot--Paint $50, Brushes $30, Brooms $20, Total=$100.
- Requests may not duplicate Student Activity Fee Allocation Board (SAFAB)/Student Reserve Board (SRB) requests. SAFAB/SRB award notification may be requested by CSA for verification purposes.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following application questions are in a grant proposal format. Each response must be at least one paragraph. Please take the time to answer these questions intentionally and double check for spelling/grammar errors. The Empowerment Grant Coordinator
may ask you to resubmit your application if there is a need for clarification/corrections.